TDD is BS?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:49:21 PDT 2013

On Friday, 21 June 2013 at 19:14:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/20/2013 8:50 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> One of my previous supervisors told me that when he gets
>> resumés, as
>> soon as he sees "Ph.D" he chucks it straight into the trash.
>
> He'd have missed out on Andrei, then.

And a lot of other people who are driven towards new ideas.

There's a fair amount of inverted snobbery about academia here.

Ultimately, a PhD shows the ability to conduct original research
and present it. It doesn't make you a great programmer, but then
again *it never purports to*. Nor does a computer science degree.

If you want a normal programming job, you need to show more real
world experience than a PhD, but just throwing out people who
have proved their originality and in depth understanding of a
topic through a PhD is nothing short of absurd.