TDD is BS?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:23:01 PDT 2013

On Friday, 21 June 2013 at 20:25:28 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:49:21PM +0200, John Colvin wrote:
>> >
>> >He'd have missed out on Andrei, then.
>>
>> And a lot of other people who are driven towards new ideas.
>>
>> There's a fair amount of inverted snobbery about academia here.
>>
>> Ultimately, a PhD shows the ability to conduct original
>> research and
>> present it. It doesn't make you a great programmer, but then
>> again
>> *it never purports to*. Nor does a computer science degree.
>
> According to my ex-supervisor (and I'm not saying I agree with
> him), it
> indicates that one is opinionated enough to originate ideas, and
> stubborn enough to successfully defend said ideas, which can be
> detrimental in a team setting if the idea wasn't a good one.
> (And since
> a PhD doesn't purport to make you a great programmer, and he
> was looking
> for great programmers rather than researchers, that could be a
> reason
> for his views on the matter.)
>

>> If you want a normal programming job, you need to show more
>> real
>> world experience than a PhD, but just throwing out people who
>> have
>> proved their originality and in depth understanding of a topic
>> through a PhD is nothing short of absurd.
>
> Well, my ex-supervisor *did* have a reputation of having many
> "interesting" (i.e. extreme) ideas about many things. :) I
> can't say I
> subscribe to his views on this matter, but what I was trying to
> get at
> was the prevalent fallacious fixation on academic achievement
> (i.e.
> equating "he has good grades / a degree / a PhD" with "he is a
> good
> programmer").  Too many potential employers can't see beyond
> that, or
> are not willing / don't have the time and energy to do so, thus
> resulting in the situation where people are being hired because
> of their
> academic achievement, but are expected to have skills not
> necessarily
> implied by said achievement. Then when such hires consistently
> produce
> sub-par work, some people get provoked to equate "PhD" with
> "poor
> programming skills".
>
> This situation wouldn't have developed if employers evaluated
> candidates
> based on their *skills* rather than by the credentials on
> paper.  But in
> this day and age where time is never enough, it's all too
> convenient to
> dismiss a candidate because he has no academic credentials
> rather than
> to spend the time / energy to review unlikely candidates on the
> off-chance that perhaps they might turn out to be hidden
> programming
> [...]

Agreed on all points.

As an aside: what defines a "good programmer"  is of course
dependant on the task. Many academics do write effective code,
quite quickly, and get a lot of quite convoluted work done by
coding.

E.g. I would (entirely hypothetically) happily hire a physics PhD
to write high-level data-analysis routines in python, but i'd be
wary of getting them to work on a high security web-app. On the
flip side, I would be wary of hiring an enthusiastic college
dropout to write an accurate fluid simulation, but they might
easily fit the definition of "good programmer" for extending a
web framework.