SIMD on Windows

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Fri Jun 21 21:57:35 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 22 June 2013 at 04:28:57 UTC, Jonathan Dunlap wrote:
> On Friday, 21 June 2013 at 23:04:10 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/21/2013 3:43 PM, Jonathan Dunlap wrote:
>>> In D 2.063.2 on Windows 7:
>>> Error: SIMD vector types not supported on this platform
>>>
>>> Should I file a bug for this or is this currently on a
>>> roadmap? I'm SUPER
>>> excited to get into SIMD development with D. :D
>>
>> It's not a bug, and there are currently no plans to support
>> SIMD on Win32. However, it is supported for Win64 compilations.
>>
>> You can, however, file an enhancement request on Bugzilla for
>> it.
>
> How do you compile for Win64? The only package for Windows I
> see is i386 which doesn't seem to support Win64 offhand... does
> the compiler require a flag?
>
> (yes, I'm on a Win64 OS/system)

The i386 DMD can produce Win64 COFF object files which can then
be linked by the free MSVC toolchain.  Basically you just need to
install that toolchain and DMD -m64 should just work in my
experience.  Someone probably has a link handy for the MSVC
toolchain.  I'm  not sure because I have Visual Studio installed
for work so I've always already got it installed.