TDD is BS?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Jun 22 03:18:36 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-22 00:12, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> - The nasty little details like pointer/memory problems, linker errors,
>    etc that real people have to deal with are neatly glossed over and
>    sidestepped.

They never teach you about that.

> - There was one CS101 teacher (I had to tutor her unfortunate students)
>    who constantly bragged about being from a real-world software
>    company...but she was a Java-addict (circa v1.2-v1.4) who kept trying
>    to teach OO *before* basic flow-of-execution. Consequently, none of
>    her unfortunate students had the slightest clue what was going on.
>
> - Many of the professors are terrible programmers themselves. For
>    example, I had one who openly admitted the only language he knew was
>    C, and yet at one point it became painfully obvious that he had
>    almost no comprehension of null-terminated strings.

What annoys me is that sometimes they teach flat out lies to the students.

I watch a couple of videos from a course from Standford, I think it was
algorithms and data structures or similar. The teacher introduce the Map
data structure by showing an interface for it and how it works. She
tells the student that you cannot have any other type for the keys than
strings. I think she even says it's impossible. I can understand that
they don't want to make it too complicated when it's introduced for the
first time. But she at least could have said something like, "for now,
lets imagine only string types are possible".

--
/Jacob Carlborg