TDD is BS?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Jun 22 06:08:00 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-22 00:12, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> - There was one CS101 teacher (I had to tutor her unfortunate students)
>    who constantly bragged about being from a real-world software
>    company...but she was a Java-addict (circa v1.2-v1.4) who kept trying
>    to teach OO *before* basic flow-of-execution. Consequently, none of
>    her unfortunate students had the slightest clue what was going on.

We learned OO before any programming. First we had a course about
analyze and design of object oriented systems, or something like that.
They thought the basic concepts of OO, UML diagrams and other stuff.
After that course we learned programming and the practical side of OO,
that is Java.

> - Many of the teachers don't even teach, they just collect the
>    thousands of dollars in tuition and give you a book recommendation
>    (really more of a "demand" than a recommendation). Now, I'm a strong
>    believer in being self-taught and learning from books, but all I need
>    for that is a library card, not a $100k debt and four years of elitist
>    attitudes from people who clearly don't know what they're doing
>    anyway.

During my years at the university I bought three books. One of the was
really good, the rest wasn't worth it.

--
/Jacob Carlborg