What features of D are you using now which you thought you'd never goint to use?

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 09:17:41 PDT 2013

I remember just a few years ago I was avoiding learning to use
templates, thinking they're super-complicated and that I'd **never**
actually need them. I used to read about them in the pages of the
language reference, but nothing actually *clicked* while reading those
pages. I also remember reading about the `is()` keyword which was the
most intriguing but complex thing on the whole website that I just
couldn't wrap my head around.

At some point I forced myself to start using them in my code, to
figure out their true nature and how they can help out.

Nowadays I can't live without templates, they're like second-nature to me.

I wonder if newbies still get a little scared when they reach the
template section on dlang, and if we can improve this somehow. There
*are* tutorials out there, but dlang.org is probably where the user
gets his first impression of the language, and it has to be an
inviting one.

Anyway, what features are you using now that you thought you'd never
use when you started out using D?