What features of D are you using now which you thought you'd never goint to use?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 09:51:36 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 22 June 2013 at 16:19:20 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 June 2013 at 16:17:55 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
> wrote:
>> Anyway, what features are you using now that you thought you'd
>> never
>> use when you started out using D?
>
> Apologies for the title, should have said "going". Too much
> pizza
> I suppose.. (makes me sleepy)

Personally, I "loved" using templates in C++, so I must say, when
I read TDPL, I was batshit excited about templates. enums, static
if, ctfe... Wow.

Unicode: I thought "cute, this language supports unicode". Just
reading TDPL's intro about unicode finally made it "click" about
what unicode *is*. In about a month later, I felt like the
unicode fucking *master*.

mixin and token strings. I wasn't a huge fan of mixin, but their
power over macros has grown on me. As for token string, I was
look "OK... a special syntax for strings representing tokens...
why?" But I've come to understand how cool that actually is, and
I use it a lot more now.

classes I didn't use then, and I still don't use now, but I'm
more of a "low level library writer" kind of user, then building
useful programs kind of guy :D