D vs Haskell

Juan Manuel Cabo juanmanuel.cabo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:45:46 PDT 2013

On 06/22/2013 06:29 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 06/22/2013 10:11 PM, Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
>> Testing against Complete Works of William Shakespeare (5.3 MiB
>> plaintext): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/100
>> and using "dmd -O -inline -noboundscheck -release" on both
>> the last version of the author, and my version using "byWord"
>> I got these times (minimum of 10 runs):
>>
>>     before: 2781 ms
>>
>>     after:   805 ms
>
> What about with GDC or LDC?

Right, the author of the article used ldc. I'm always used
to dmd.
Keep in mind that he hasn't released the 9MB text that he
used, but instead pointed to that 5.3MB Shakespeare file.

This time I used LDC 0.11.0, with:

     ldc2 -O -release -disable-boundscheck

Times (minimum of 10 runs):

     before: 1617 ms

     after:  554 ms

Conclusion: using "byWords" was 3.4 times faster with DMD
and 2.9 times faster with LDC.

--jm