SIMD on Windows

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Jun 23 06:33:38 PDT 2013

On 22.06.2013 02:07, Manu wrote:
> It would certainly be nice in Win32, but I tend to think Win32 COFF
> should be much higher priority.

I have removed the dust from these patches and pushed them successfully
through the test suite and unittests:

https://github.com/rainers/dmd/tree/coff32
https://github.com/rainers/druntime/tree/coff32
https://github.com/rainers/phobos/tree/coff32

Compile dmd as usual, but druntime and phobos with something like

druntime:
  make -f win64.mak MODEL=32ms "CC=<path-to-32bit-cl>"
phobos:
  make -f win64.mak MODEL=32ms "CC=<path-to-32bit-cl>"
"AR=<path-to-32bit-lib>"

COFF32 files are generated when -m32ms is used on the command line.

If you put the resulting libraries into the lib folder, using a standard
installation of VS2010 might work, but I recommend adding a new section
to sc.ini and adjust paths there. Mine looks like this:

[Environment32ms]
PATH=c:\l\vs9\Common7\IDE;%PATH%
LIB="%@P%\..\..\lib32";c:\l\vs9\vc\lib;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Lib"
DFLAGS=%DFLAGS% -L/nologo -L/INCREMENTAL:NO
LINKCMD=c:\l\vs9\vc\bin\link.exe

BTW: I also found some bugs in the Win64 along the way, I'll create pull
requests for these.