What features of D are you using now which you thought you'd never goint to use?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jun 23 07:47:16 PDT 2013

> Again, we can make things work by introducing a primitive for
> bidirectional ranges:
>
> R before(R r1, R r2);
>
> Assuming r2 is reachable from r1, returns the portion of r1 that lies
> before r2. (Definition: a range r2 is reachable from another range r1 if
> calling r1.popFront() repeatedly will at some point make r1.front and
> r2.front refer to the same value.)

The question is, should we add this primitive? There's discussion on
adding ranges to C++, and discussion inevitably reaches an impasse when
it gets to this particular matter.

I personally think we should and am amazed that we made it so far
without that primitive. However, unlike others, I don't think it's an
essential matter. Some C++ people tend to be apprehensive when they
figure they can do something with iterators that's not doable with ranges.

Andrei