OT: CS education gone wrong (Was: Re: TDD is BS?)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 11:51:27 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 23 June 2013 at 18:24:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Would separate processes work better under high load? Educate
> me.

One nice thing is you can spread separate processes across
several machines. Another advantage of *cgi|embedded_httpd is
that it is portable to other web servers too, you can just drop
it into a shop that uses nginx or Microsoft IIS and expect it to
work, whereas an Apache module is generally apache only.

I think it is just an accident of history that mod_php ever got
used. Classic cgi implementations were still slow enough
(especially with an interpreted language) that people wanted to
try something else, but the other world of options hadn't taken
root yet either (I think mod_php even slightly predates fastcgi's
introduction), and continues to exist just out of inertia.