top time wasters in DMD, as reported by gprof

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 21:53:43 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> On 6/23/2013 8:39 PM, Timothee Cour wrote:
>
>> can you give more context ? what was the command line to get this?
>>

> Compile on Linux with -pg. Run with:
>
>    dmd -main -unittest std/algorithm
>

> > I thought lexing was not a bottleneck, yet it seems to be in second
> place?
>
> The fun with profilers is they tell you things you didn't think were true.

more profiliing numbers from Ian Buclaw, for gdc:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1469.1339580395.24740.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com
http://iainbuclaw.wordpress.com/2010/09/18/implementing-speed-counters-in-gdc/
http://iainbuclaw.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/d2-time-report2.pdf
That cam up in an old proposal i made a year ago: "AST files instead of DI
interface files for faster compilation and easier distribution".