OT: CS education gone wrong (Was: Re: TDD is BS?)

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 22:45:30 PDT 2013

On Monday, 24 June 2013 at 02:39:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/23/13 11:51 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> I think it is just an accident of history that mod_php ever
>> got used.
>> Classic cgi implementations were still slow enough (especially
>> with an
>> interpreted language) that people wanted to try something
>> else, but the
>> other world of options hadn't taken root yet either (I think
>> mod_php
>> even slightly predates fastcgi's introduction), and continues
>> to exist
>> just out of inertia.
>
> OK so what's the way to go now? One process per request? Seems
> heavy to me seeing as most requests last very little.

That is what apache used to do when mod_php was introduced
anyway. This whole conversation has gone out of control :D

mod_php was a way to reduce the communication overhead and avoid
2 process per request in the first place (instead of one).

It become plain obvious that no silver bullet exists here. The
solution seems to be a mix of fibers/threads and processes where
number of each depends on your workload and the actual hardware
it is running on. Most high performance and high scalability
system are converging toward one flavor of that pattern.