OT: CS education gone wrong (Was: Re: TDD is BS?)

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Jun 24 02:07:53 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 23 June 2013 at 18:24:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/23/13 11:04 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Sunday, 23 June 2013 at 17:54:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>> On 6/23/13 10:34 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>> We should do what php does, it was very successful. I assume
>>> it's a
>>> dynamic library.
>>
>> And what reason behind this other than "millions of lemmings
>> can't be
>> wrong"? This approach is disaster when it comes to high load.
>
> Would separate processes work better under high load? Educate
> me.
>
> Andrei

It is not about "process vs dynamic library", it is about basic
threaded architecture used in Apache. Every single network server
that I know that cares about performance uses some sort of event
model and avoids any context switches at all possible costs. It
does not matter where request processing code is, only how it
fits in bigger picture.

Actually, server software with most impressive performance I have
seen so far was implemented as single barebone process with all
network stack and event library embedded. Slightly similar idea
was propsoed here -
http://highscalability.com/blog/2013/5/13/the-secret-to-10-million-concurrent-connections-the-kernel-i.html
(found via reddit)