top time wasters in DMD, as reported by gprof

Richard Webb webby at beardmouse.org.uk
Mon Jun 24 09:15:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, 24 June 2013 at 15:04:37 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:

> i know - my question was - how does that look using msvc...

I just did a very quick test using the latest DMD source:

Using the command line

-release -unittest -c
D:\DTesting\dmd.2.063\src\phobos\std\algorithm.d

DMD built with DMC takes ~49 seconds to complete, but DMD build
with VC2008 only takes ~12 seconds. (Need to get a proper VC
build done to test it properly).
Looks like the DMC build spends far more time allocating memory,
even though the peak memory usage is only slightly lower in the
VS version?