proposal: lazy compilation model for compiling binaries

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Jun 25 00:21:42 PDT 2013

On Monday, 24 June 2013 at 08:52:47 UTC, OlliP wrote:
> This is now a bit confusing to me. I just made up my mind to go
> with D instead of Go, because Go is too simplistic in my
> opinion.
> Furthermore, calling C from D is a lot easier than from Go. And
> now this ... I have too little understanding of D to see what
> the
> impact of this build time issue is. Does this mean build times
> come close to what they are in C++ or is this issue only about
> builds not being as fast as the D people are used to ..?
>
> Thanks, Oliver

D build times are quite fast. An ongoing compiler port from Java
to D I have been doing does a full build in less than 2s.

Go build times are nothing to be amazed, for the developers that
grown up with Basic, Modula-2 and Pascal dialect compilers back
in the 80's in the hardware constraints of those days.

C and C++ success in the mainstream created a misconception of
what compile times of native languages mean.

--
Paulo