Opinions on DConf talks

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Jun 25 13:00:26 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 19:38:04 UTC, MattCoder wrote:
> But one little thing that comes in mind now is: It really needs
> this type of conference when we live in Internet era?
>
> It was a U$ 30k event for how many attendees? 100 for a
> universe of 10k D users?
>
> What I mean is, can't "we" make those videos and share thoughts
> without conferences, do it monthly to gather attention of more
> programmers?
>
> If the internet works for open source code, a live meeting over
> internet wouldn't be possible too?
I agree, a physical conference is positively anachronistic in
this day and age.  So much of D is done online, no reason these
talks couldn't be done that way too.  That said, the last D
conference was in 2007: it does make sense to get together in
person at least once every six years, ;) at least for those who
go in for that sort of thing.