Opinions on DConf talks

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 25 15:16:12 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:58:22 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I couldn't make it to the conference, but from what I heard, a lot of
> hatchets were buried and a lot of issues were sorted out as a result of
> meeting in person. That should never be underestimated. :) In this day
> and age of online personae, it's all too easy to forget that there are
> real, living, breathing people behind the personae. Meeting in person
> has a way of sorting things out in a way no amount of email, forum, or
> online chat could ever do.

I was very surprised by how many valuable discussions and interactions took
place outside of the talks. I don't think that that value can be
overestimated. For instance, I suspect that almost all of us view Manu
somewhat differently from having interacted with him in person. He's still
somewhat abrasive in person but nothing like he is online. You get a very
different view of someone from interacting with them in person, and I found
that many discussions were far more effective when we had the opportunity to
discuss stuff in person informally rather than in the newsgroup (as valuable as
discussions here can be).

And for those that couldn't actually make to the conference, they've been able
to view the recordings of the talks. I don't see how we lose anything by
having conferences like this. They're incredibly common, and I think that
we'll benefit immensely from having them yearly like Walter and Andrei have
said is the plan is from now on.

- Jonathan M Davis