Opinions on DConf talks

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:40:24 PDT 2013

On 26 June 2013 10:15, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 09:58:59AM +1000, Manu wrote:
> > On 26 June 2013 08:16, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > I was very surprised by how many valuable discussions and
> > > interactions took place outside of the talks. I don't think that
> > > that value can be overestimated. For instance, I suspect that almost
> > > all of us view Manu somewhat differently from having interacted with
> > > him in person. He's still somewhat abrasive in person but nothing
> > > like he is online. You get a very different view of someone from
> > > interacting with them in person, and I found that many discussions
> > > were far more effective when we had the opportunity to discuss stuff
> > > in person informally rather than in the newsgroup (as valuable as
> > > discussions here can be).
> > >

> > Brutal! ;)
>
> Heh... I must say, watching Manu's talks gave the necessary context to
> interpret his online writing style, which are actually *not* abrasive as
> some might construe them to be. It's a case of "lost in transit": online
> text is notoriously bad at conveying the author's emotions and tone of
> voice (that is to say, not at all), so an offhand joke or casual remark
> can be wrongly taken to be a personal attack when there is no such
> intention on the part of the author. Getting to know a person (in person
> :-P) makes a big difference in how you interpret what he writes.

Haha, well I'm glad to hear that!
I think it's safe to say that my generally blunt and perhaps somewhat
northern-australian inflammatory sense of humor just doesn't translate to
text.
I've also never involved myself in any online community before, and just
write basically how I talk. Believe it or not, I'm actually a friendly guy!
...or at least, I like to think so... ;)