Notes from C++ static analysis

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Wed Jun 26 12:59:00 PDT 2013

Am 26.06.2013 21:53, schrieb dennis luehring:
> Am 26.06.2013 21:33, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> On 6/26/13 11:08 AM, bearophile wrote:
>>> On the other hand this D program prints just
>>> "10" with no errors, ignoring the second x:
>>>
>>> import std.stdio;
>>> void main() {
>>> size_t x = 10;
>>> writefln("%d", x, x);
>>> }
>>>
>>> In a modern statically typed language I'd like such code to give a
>>> compile-time error.
>>
>> Actually this is good because it allows to customize the format string
>> to print only a subset of available information (I've actually used this).
>
> why is there always a tiny need for such tricky stuff - isn't that only
> usefull in very rare cases

or better said - could then someone add a description to writefln why
there is a need that writefln can "handle" more values then asked in the
format-string - maybe with an example that realy shows the usefullness
of this feature - and why an simple enum + if/else can't handle this
also very elegant