Opinions on DConf talks

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 26 19:01:55 PDT 2013

On 6/25/13 4:36 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 22:16:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> I don't see how we lose anything by having conferences like this.
>
> There is possibly an opportunity cost: I'd be willing to work significant time on D stuff, directed
> by the community, for a year if paid the $30,000 we raised on kickstarter, and perhaps even use
> spaces instead of tabs in the code [!!!] and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
>
> But the conference(s) may end up being worth more than contracting some programmers, so it isn't
> necessarily a loss.

Spending $30k on a single developer vs spending it on a conference attended by 100 people where lots
of major issues are discussed is no contest.  The conference every time.

If even a handful of people took something away from the conference and went off and did something
that improves the community even a little, the end result is worth a lot more.  And I'm sure that
more than a handful of people got great value out of time spent.