Notes from C++ static analysis

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 26 23:59:30 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 23:47:15 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> >> Doesn't surprise me one bit.
> >
> > Well, it shocks most of us.
>
> I'm also not moved by argumentum ad populum.

ad populum obviously isn't enough. But if we make a design decision that
favors 1% of our user base and causes problems for the other 99%, then I think
that we've made a big mistake. And while having most everyone disagree with
one person does not make that person wrong, it _does_ make it more likely that
they're wrong. So, while ad populum should not be the sole reason to make a
decision, I think that it's generally a bad idea to ignore it. I'm not trying
to say anything about this particular discussion and whether we should go with
the majority on this; I'm just pointing out that ignoring what the majority
thinks is not necessarily a good idea.

- Jonathan M Davis