Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 03:24:01 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 at 00:11:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Every time I've been to a programming shop in a foreign
> country, the developers speak english at work and code in
> english. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone does, but
> as far as I can tell the overwhelming bulk is done in english.

OOo codebase is historically mostly in german. They try to reduce
the amunt of german in the codebase with each new version.

Some massive codebases are non english.

> Naturally, full Unicode needs to be in strings and comments,
> but symbol names? I don't see the point nor the utilty of it.
> Supporting such is just pointless complexity to the language.

I know this is a crazy idea, but someone told be once that most
people on this planet aren't living in english speaking
countries. Insane isn't it ?