Notes from C++ static analysis

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jun 28 01:02:03 PDT 2013

On Friday, June 28, 2013 00:48:20 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/27/2013 8:22 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> > Yes, but voting is very seldom the best way so decide a technical issue.
> > You want the best technical solution not the one supported by the best
> > lobbyists.
> A sound technical argument can trump votes. There are enough cases of votes
> overriding technical arguments to everyone's later regret, like exported
> templates in C++ :-)

Agreed. I just disagree with the idea that what the majority thinks is
irrelevant. It _is_ relevant, but it's just one of the things to consider. The
place where it's likely to matter most is when you have multiple choices which
are all more or less equal. Where it's likely to matter the least is when you
have strong technical arguments against the majority opinion, and the majority
opinion does not have similarly strong arguments in its favor.

- Jonathan M Davis