D vs C++ - Where are the benchmarks?

Gabi galim120 at bezeqint.net
Sun Jun 30 13:55:26 PDT 2013

> C++ in non trivial programs, if one cares about not allocating
> too much on the heap. It seems indeed that the automatic memory
> management is a major performance killer, and it's not always
> easy to know in advance what the overall performance of D code
> will be. But the less work for the GC, the better.

I wonder why is that.. Why would deleting 1 million objects in
C++ (using std::shared_ptr for example) have to be slower than
the garbage collection freeing a big chunk of million objects all
at once. I mean, it would probably block the main thread but the
avg rate of deleting objects shouldn't differ from manually doing
so right ? So the main issue would be unpredictable pauses
(what's a typical delay to expect from cleaning 1000000 objects?)
of the main thread and not avg performance I think..

> So yes, one can get stellar performance out of D, but I would
> say right out of the box, it's not automatic, it does require
> some work where high performance is needed.
Any other tips to get high performance besides the GC issue?