D vs C++ - Where are the benchmarks?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 30 16:14:44 PDT 2013

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:35:45 -0400, David <d at dav1d.de> wrote:

> Am 30.06.2013 22:53, schrieb SomeDude:
>>>
>>> Eh, I'd say it is D's gc implementation specifically that is the
>>> biggest worry rather than the concept. I think the .net gc is
>>> seriously like 10x faster than D's implementation.
>>
>> Yes, yes, you're right. However, not allocating at least in Phobos is
>> one of the surest way to get near optimal performance, not to mention
>> it's always more satisfying when you know that your program doesn't
>> monopolize Mb of RAM to do even the simplest task.
>
> Wow, I don't care if it does, especially if it is only a simple task.
> Memory is there to be used. If I want to avoid memory useage, I wouldn't
> be using D.

The difference between using 300 MB of ram and 1GB of ram on an online
virtual private server can be about $30/month.

I recently figured out that vibe.d's idea of "just in time" compile and
module load would not work on my VPS because dmd takes 500MB to compile
simple vibe.d hello world.

I think memory usage is still important.  Many people don't consider that
their computer is running hundreds of programs at a time.  If each one of
those "didn't care" about memory usage, the one that you are currently
interested in would not have any breathing room.

-Steve