Automatic typing

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 23:51:52 PDT 2013

On Monday, 1 July 2013 at 06:38:20 UTC, JS wrote:
> well duh, but it is quite a simple mathematical problem and
> your counter-example is not one at all.
>
> For a statically typed language all types must be known at
> compile time... so you can't come up with any valid
> counter-example. Just because you come up with some convoluted
> example that seems to break the algorithm does not prove
> anything.
>
> Do you agree that a function's return type must be known at
> compile time in a statically typed language? If not then we
> have nothing more to discuss... (Just because you allow a
> function to be compile time polymorphic doesn't change anything
> because each type that a function can possibly return must be
> known)

As a compiler implementer, Timon is probably way more competent
than you are on the question. You'll get anything interesting to
add by considering you know better.

The type of problem he mention are already present in many aspect
of D and makes it really hard to compile in a consistent way
accross implementations. Adding new one is a really bad idea.

If you don't understand what the problem is, I suggest you to
study the question or ask questions rather than try to make a
point.