Migrating dmd to D?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 02:18:20 PST 2013

On 28 February 2013 22:50, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/2013 7:53 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>> So, feel free to send me a list of questions you want me to answer. :o)
>>

> Would it impair having it accepted as part of gcc?

Not if we follow by way of example, eg: the Ada or Go model.  Where they
have separately maintained code for their front end that may be used
verbatim in multiple compilers, with the code outside the front end doing
everything related to interfacing with GCC, and only what's related to
interfacing with GCC.

The only part where this may be problematic for D is that there are still
parts of the front end that require patching for use with GCC, this is
being worked on, but would require co-operation from both code gdc, ldc and
dmd maintains to align their copies of the front end up.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';