Release planning for 2.063

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Mar 1 06:18:24 PST 2013

Am Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:46:45 +0400
schrieb Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com>:

> The more I see topics on release process the more I feel uneasy.
>
> Can't we just make releases more stable by doing 2 things instead:
>
> a) Provide nightly builds - same package as beta/release but as a
> weekly from Git master.

Maybe this is useful if used additionally, but it can't replace betas
or minor releases.

> b) List links to these and betas somewhere *prominent* damn it.
> *Separate* beta mailing list is *not* good enough. Post it on D,
> D.announce and somewhere else as well. Let people use them!

Sure, this should be done anyway.

> The benefit is that both of these can be fully automated.
>
> What is already done is staging branch to avoid freezing the master.
> Betas are then just nightly builds for the staging branch and are
> provided few weeks before the release. So all of this already fits
> the current scenario.

We currently don't use release/version branches as it was described on
the old wiki page though. At some point we'd have to start using those
anyway and the staging branch is not really necessary anymore as the
release branches can take the role of master. So I hoped those changes
to the wiki page would make it easier to switch to the new process.