Release planning for 2.063

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:17:30 PST 2013

01-Mar-2013 18:18, Johannes Pfau пишет:
> Am Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:46:45 +0400
> schrieb Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com>:
>

>> The more I see topics on release process the more I feel uneasy.
>>
>> Can't we just make releases more stable by doing 2 things instead:
>>
>> a) Provide nightly builds - same package as beta/release but as a
>> weekly from Git master.
>
> Maybe this is useful if used additionally, but it can't replace betas
> or minor releases.

Yes, see below. Betas are nightlies published from frozen branches like
staging.

>> b) List links to these and betas somewhere *prominent* damn it.
>> *Separate* beta mailing list is *not* good enough. Post it on D,
>> D.announce and somewhere else as well. Let people use them!
>
> Sure, this should be done anyway.
>
>> The benefit is that both of these can be fully automated.
>>
>> What is already done is staging branch to avoid freezing the master.
>> Betas are then just nightly builds for the staging branch and are
>> provided few weeks before the release. So all of this already fits
>> the current scenario.
>>

> We currently don't use release/version branches as it was described on
> the old wiki page though. At some point we'd have to start using those
> anyway and the staging branch is not really necessary anymore as the
> release branches can take the role of master. So I hoped those changes
> to the wiki page would make it easier to switch to the new process.

I posted these not to discourage the whole "wiki thing" but to
illustrate a point that perhaps aiming for one step at a time changes
(tweaks) is better. Then we can improve release process significantly
without adding extra complication.

--
Dmitry Olshansky