Migrating dmd to D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Mar 1 07:43:28 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 04:28:50PM +0100, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On 01.03.2013 07:10, Russel Winder wrote:
> >Walter,
> >
> >On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 14:46 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> >[…]
> >>I know I probably come off as a ninny about this, but professional
> >>users will run screaming from any open source code unless it
> >>contains:
> >>
> >>1. a copyright notice
> >>2. a license
> >>3. who owns the above
> >
> >Not ninni-ish at all, very sensible. Of course it is not the
> >professional users that worry about these things, it is their
> >lawyers.  Worse there is a whole collection of misunderstanding and
> >misapprehensions, not to mention FUD, about the various well known
> >licences.
> >

> I lost count the amount of times I had to fulfill Excel sheets with
> information for Lawyers before we could use open source software.
>
> Some of those sheets are pretty exhaustive. :\
>
> - License
> - Owner
> - Web site
> - Code repository location for the given release number
> - In which product it is going to be used
> - Why we are using open source in first place
> - Examples of known software that also make use of the related software
> - ...
>
> This for each single version being used. A new version requires
> going again through the process.
[...]

Wow. You make me feel really lucky that at my day job, I once made a
request to use a particular piece of open source software, and the legal
department actually replied with "the license is MIT, it should be OK,
approved."

OTOH, though, anything to do with the GPL or its ilk will probably
require truckloads of red tape to approve.

They say that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well I think
the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I don't think
you'd kill too many people. -- Eddie Izzard, Dressed to Kill