Migrating dmd to D?

Oleg Kuporosov Oleg.Kuporosov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 11:46:20 PST 2013

On Thursday, 28 February 2013 at 00:37:50 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Walter and I have had a long conversation about the next
> radical thing to do to improve D's standing. Like others in
> this community, we believe it's a good time to consider
> bootstrapping the compiler. Having the D compiler written in D
> has quite a few advantages, among which taking advantages of
> D's features and having a large codebase that would be its own
> test harness.
..

Strategically it is great idea, but tactically there are probably
more
attractive (for new users also) areas to improve toolchain:

- GC. Current solution is just like java's from 90th. Hit all OS
and mostly everybody. Makes so hard to develop solutions with
soft-RT requirements, like
games and multimedia processing.
- Linker for Windows. optlink is far away from current industry
requirements/standarts. Using coff for Win64 is good but we have
now dependency on external toolchain. Unfortunatelly C++/CLI was
excluded from SDK'12, it probably shows new trend. How long
SDK'10 will be available for download and compatible with next
Windows? Big risk.

Good article on what can replace C from Damien, including D -
http://damienkatz.net/2013/01/follow_up_to_the_unreasonable.html