Migrating dmd to D?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Fri Mar 1 18:17:00 PST 2013

On Friday, 1 March 2013 at 08:55:22 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 07:48 AM, Marco Leise wrote:
>> Am Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:44:31 +0100
>> schrieb Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch>:
>>
>>> * wc -l reveals that the DMD front end source code is roughly
>>> 30 to 40
>>> times larger than it should be for what it does in my opinion.
>>
>> That can only mean that you don't really know what it does in
>> my opinion.
>
> I guess it (almost) implements the language. :)
>
>> Sure such a large code base accumulates duplicates
>> since not everybody knows about all helper functions or copy
>> and paste was the least intrusive bug fix somewhere, but you
>> don't really believe that 94% of the front end are
>> unnecessary, do you?
>>

> I believe it is bloated. Maybe it's partly because it is
> written in C++.

I have to go with Marco. What is the usual bloat factor between
C++ and D ? 2x at most ? Unless you found some super efficient
way of writing a complex grammar, I don't see a reason there
could be such a large difference.
In fact, for this kind of program, I am not even sure the D code
will be much smaller than the C++ one overall.