Migrating dmd to D?

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Fri Mar 1 20:28:38 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 03:56:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 04:46:57AM +0100, Denis Koroskin wrote:
> [...]
>> Anyway, feel free to take the sources and attach whatever
>> license
>> you want to it.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think copyright works like that. You
> (the author)
> must be the one who licenses it. Any license applied by others
> will most
> probably be invalid, since they are not the real copyright
> owner, and,
> in the case of actual legal disputes, such a license will be
> indefensible.

Last year I boiled down existing ddmd to:

https://github.com/zachthemystic/ddmd-clean/

I did it because I needed to teach myself programming, and maybe
there was a long shot that someone would want to use it. I rather
angrily attached the GPL license because I thought I had to. But
flexibility in this area comes as a welcome surprise.

I want to make another point. Dmd is perhaps written in a way
that might be easier to create an automatic program translating
it to D than other C++ programs. I guess that approach is worth
at least a small amount of investigation. The question is whether
the number of special cases required to automate will take more
toll than the grunt work of direct translation.

ddmd currently does some really awkward C++ contortions of stuff
which is built into D. No one would write it that way in D. While
I stripped down the compiler to make my lexer/parser version of
it, which is very mangled at the moment, at least you can look at
the code to see how dmd would look in D.