The DUB package manager

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 2 00:19:54 PST 2013

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 18:10:21 Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> With the recent talk about Orbit, I thought it is time to also announce
> the package manager that we have been working out based on the simple
> VPM system that has always been in vibe.d. I don't really like stepping
> into competition with Jacob here (*), but the approach is different
> enough that I think it should be put on the table.

I justed messing around with dub on one of my projects, and at first glance, I
like what I'm seeing. Hopefully, it'll be a good replacement for the ad-hoc
build setups that I typically use. However, while the package format
documentation seems to be fairly complete, the usage documentation is still
sorely lacking:

http://registry.vibed.org/usage

As it stands, I don't even have a clue what the various directories that get
generated are for, let alone something like how the docs target is supposed to
work (I just get errors from it about one of the files it generates not being
executable).

There should also probably clear examples of how to set up an application vs a
library. It seems to want to set up an application by default, and I assume
that you make it a library by mucking with dflags in the configuration file, but
how that jives with having an executable with -unittest, I don't know.

And if dub is supposed to work with build scripts or other build tools as some
of your posts here imply, then that definitely needs to be documented, because
I don't see anything of the sort.

So, it looks like it has a good start, but without better instructions, it's
going to be a bit hard to use it properly it seems.

- Jonathan M Davis