Migrating dmd to D?

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat Mar 2 06:47:54 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 07:16:04 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 06:50:32 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>>
>> Exactly. This fixed subset would be very limited in comparison
>> to the full language (I can imagine something looking a bit
>> like a smaller Go, there would probably be no templates at
>> all, no CTFE, maybe even no exceptions, for instance), but
>> would be orthogonal, completely stable in terms of spec, and
>> known to work. It could be defined for other real world usages
>> as well, like embedding in small appliances.
>
> It would also make it easy to bootstrap the compiler on new
> platforms.

I don't see how this would help with proting to different
platofrms at all if you have a cross-compiler.

Yes, the DMD frontend currently isn't really built with
cross-compilation in mind (e.g. using the host's floating point
arithmetic for constant folding/CTFE), but once this has been
changed, I don't see how the language used would make any
difference in re-targetting at all.

You simply use another host system (e.g. Windows/Linux x86) until
the new backend/runtime is stable enough for the compiler to
self-host.

David