Slower than Python

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:06:56 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 15:43:57 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> C is a (reasonably) well known and used language thought to
> create fast
> code. RPython is Python but with some restrictions that is
> statically
> compiled.  For writing interpreters, RPython spanks C. PyPy is
> not the
> only language using RPython to implement the interpreter. C's
> days in
> this game are seriously numbered.

Source? (Googling "rpython interpreter speed" didn't show
anything)

There's always claims that systems like RPython, or Haskell, or
LuaJIT, or Java HotSpot are able to rival or beat C, yet all I
ever see are small toy programs. Show me something big. Something
with 100's of thousands of lines of code.

If all this is true, where are the video games written in these
languages that rival performance/fidelity of AAA titles? I've
never seen that. Ever.