Slower than Python

cvk012c cvk012c at motorolasolutions.com
Sat Mar 2 11:14:12 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 15:33:42 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/1/13 8:05 PM, cvk012c wrote:
>> In my latest version of D script I didn't use splitter at all.
>> I used
>> string specific indexOf function. Still result is very bad.
>> For text
>> based protocols, such as SIP, performance of string
>> manipulating
>> functions is very important. Unfortunately, looks like it is
>> not D
>> strongest point at this time.
>
> That conclusion would be hasty if not missing the whole point.
> You essentially measured the speed of one loop in various
> translators implementing various languages. Java code doing
> straight computation is on a par with C speed, no two ways
> about that. Python code using library primitives ain't no
> slouch either.

That is true, but what prevents D to do the same? Why Java code
can be on par with C speed and D cannot? If Java and Python folks
can do it, why D creators cannot? If performance optimizations is
always number one priority in Java and Python community, why it
is not a case for D?
I will go even further: what prevents D to be faster than C?
That's where D will really shine and people will start talking
about.
But that is probably a distant future of D and for now, my
personal opinion is that ANY part of D code should not be slower
than at least Java.
If it is, it should be reported as an issues and fixed.
Being more than twice slower than Java is a failure.