Slower than Python

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Mar 2 11:18:59 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 17:06 +0100, Peter Alexander wrote:
[…]
> Source? (Googling "rpython interpreter speed" didn't show
> anything)

For me, my source is my microbenchmarks, which are testing just loop
with computation, i.e compute intensive data parallel. There is plenty
of other stuff.

> There's always claims that systems like RPython, or Haskell, or
> LuaJIT, or Java HotSpot are able to rival or beat C, yet all I
> ever see are small toy programs. Show me something big. Something
> with 100's of thousands of lines of code.

100,000+ lines of code is a total irrelevance regarding system
performance, as anyone who knows anything of profiling and benchmarking
will tell you.

If C is the only viable language why has Java got the majority of the
commercial market. C++ and Fortran have the vast majority of the
computational world.

> If all this is true, where are the video games written in these
> languages that rival performance/fidelity of AAA titles? I've
> never seen that. Ever.

Where is D is this arena. It is either C++ or C++ in the high
performance graphics arena. If there are no AAA titles written in D why
does this email list have anyone on it?

Clearly I think your response is just trolling, I will stop feeding the
troll.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk