Slower than Python

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 12:08:50 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 19:19:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> 100,000+ lines of code is a total irrelevance regarding system
> performance, as anyone who knows anything of profiling and
> benchmarking
> will tell you.

I don't care about benchmarking, I care about writing large, fast
systems. Small toy programs are irrelevant because they are not
representative of real programs. Real programs are large (many
thousands or millions of lines of code) and you don't have the
luxury of being able to hand optimize every line of code.

> If C is the only viable language why has Java got the majority
> of the
> commercial market. C++ and Fortran have the vast majority of the
> computational world.

Commercial market for what? For high performance applications C++
is still champion.

>> If all this is true, where are the video games written in
>> these languages that rival performance/fidelity of AAA titles?
>> I've never seen that. Ever.
>
> Where is D is this arena. It is either C++ or C++ in the high
> performance graphics arena. If there are no AAA titles written
> in D why
> does this email list have anyone on it?

D is getting there. Remedy Games are sponsoring DConf, and I
predict we'll start to see some high quality indie games over the
next few years written in D. Up till now, I imagine language
stability has been the main thing holding back D. Tomasz was
working on a high quality renderer before he got fed up with D's
instability (http://h3.gd/code/nucleus/).