Slower than Python

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 2 12:08:58 PST 2013

On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 12:02:08PM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/2/2013 11:42 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> >>
> >>What's RPython doing that makes it faster?
> >
> >Allowing PyPy to have a good JIT compiler.
>
> I don't understand. Does that JIT generate faster code than a C
> compiler would generate?

I don't know, but my wild guess is that a JIT optimizes the *right*
hotspots based on real-time performance measurements, whereas a lot of C
programmers are obsessed with optimizing what they *think* are the
hotspots, but which really aren't.

Everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything about it!  -- Mark Twain