Slower than Python

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 12:49:31 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 20:02:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/2/2013 11:42 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>>>
>>> What's RPython doing that makes it faster?
>>
>> Allowing PyPy to have a good JIT compiler.
>
> I don't understand. Does that JIT generate faster code than a C
> compiler would generate?

In some cases yes, it can,  but as you know that has nothing to
do with the language the jit is written in. As I've said
elsewhere, pypy being fast compared to cpython has nothing to do
with the former being written in rpython and the latter in c*

*other than perhaps the higher productivity of writing in rpython
allowing more resources to be dedicated to optimisation.