Migrating dmd to D?

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:36:38 PST 2013

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 at 23:09:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/2/2013 3:00 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> On 3/2/13, Dicebot <m.strashun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wow, I have never known something like that exists! Is there
>>> description of what it actually does or source code is only
>>> possible reference. Depending on actual limitations, it may
>>> be a
>>> game changer.
>>
>> I had alook, all it does is avoids generating moduleinfo. I'm
>> not sure
>> how that helps, the GC still works with this switch.
>>

> By not generating moduleinfo, which needs phobos to work, it
> can link with C only.

But isn't there a few language constructs the specifically rely
on the GC? I thought this was the whole issue of not being able
to disable the GC completely in dmd? If so, the core language
spec would have to be designed to be GC agnostic.

I think the ability to mark a module with attributes would help.
Possibly extend UDA's to work on the module keyword also.