Migrating dmd to D?

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Sat Mar 2 22:04:02 PST 2013

On Sunday, 3 March 2013 at 05:18:13 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Zach the Mystic" <reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com> wrote
> in message
> news:pabfuaorrjbljxzrglbv at forum.dlang.org...
>>>
>>> Something like this https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2 ?
>>
>> Yes! I need to look it over more thoroughly, but I couldn't
>> ask for a better beginning. Can I trust that you'll be a
>> willing part of future discussions on this matter, even if
>> only to play Devil's Advocate?
>
> More like a full-blown attempt than a beginning.  I started
> this a long time
> ago.
>
> There are three parts to it:
> - c++ parser/d printer, with lots of cheating and special cases
> - patches to the c++ source
> - patched version of dmd to build the result (no error on
> variable shadowing
> etc)
>
> It produces a 70000 line d file which appears to get through
> 3/7ths of
> semantic1.  Root needs to be ported, and a cleaner interface to
> the backend
> is needed to compile the glue layer.

Yes, more than a beginning. This is a higher-level approach than
mine, clearly.

In your estimation, how high-level is your approach compared to
my lower-level one? How far would each of us have to travel to
meet in the middle, in other words? :)