Slower than Python

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Mar 3 07:07:56 PST 2013

On 2013-03-02 20:27, Walter Bright wrote:

> In D, you can write custom versions of algorithms to exploit unique
> characteristics of particular data structures. I don't regard that as a
> failure.

If you use the most obvious function/way from the standard library to
perform a task in Python and you do the same in D. If the D version is
slower that's not good.

As you've seen here people will use what's available in the standard
library and if that's not good enough compared to what's available in
other languages' standard libraries, they will complain. If a function
in Phobos can't match the corresponding function in another std lib, I
think we're doing something wrong. Or the they just happened to use a
language where the std lib was optimized better for that particular task.

--
/Jacob Carlborg