ARM & Raspberry Pi support status

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 4 01:01:23 PST 2013

Java has recently released a version for the Raspberry Pi and there is a
huge push to get this recognised world-wide.

Currently the principle languages on the default Raspbian system is
Python, with Scratch (based on Squeak) the alternate for younger users.

Underneath though it is just Debian on ARM. This means C and C++ are
available, but this is not being pushed, except as ways of creating
Python extensions.

The Go folk seem to be on a campaign to get Go as the native code
language associated with the Raspberry Pi brand. They have a long way to
go, but they have powerful backers.

This is an opportunity for the D community to make a play.  DMD is not
that play I suspect. GDC would have been the major avenue but… LDC could
be a player but… Actions not words are needed if anything is to happen.

PyGame is where the principle action is just now for the Raspberry Pi,
but the hardware tinkering folks are on the rise and Python extensions
for handing hardware are coming a plenty.

So can D compete with Python+C on the Raspberry Pi?

Answers not on a postcard, or even lengthy mailing list threads, but in
compiler ports so I can use them. I have a vested interest in knowing an
answer within about 8 weeks.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk