Cross compilers; GDC/LDC

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Mon Mar 4 05:29:32 PST 2013

On Sunday, 3 March 2013 at 13:57:15 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Ideally, I would really like all these toolchains:
>  GDC: x86, x64, ARM, PPC, MIPS, SH4 <- common toolchains
>  LDC: x86, x64, ARM, PPC <- used by apple
>
> I wonder if anyone with know-how building GDC or LDC for
> windows could help
> me out by producing as many of these in binary as possible?

My dev laptop is being repaired right now, but I hope I'll be
able to upload a recent MinGW build of LDC by the end of the
week. I could build LLVM with all targets enabled, so you could
at least do some basic codegen tests by manually specifying the
target triple.

See http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC for information on the ARM/PPC
status. You might want to contact Kai directly, maybe he can
easily provide you with a "real" PPC64 cross-compiler.

> As a side note, I think it would be really valuable to keep a
> cache of such
> windows binaries somewhere on the net anyway, so anyone working
> on foreign
> platforms can get to work and actually focus on platform
> support, without
> wasting all their time learning how to build these toolchains.

In case of LDC, the main reason such binaries don't already
exist, at least for the bare compiler, is that no Windows
binaries exist at all (a MinGW preview will hopefully be
available with the next release).

Keep in mind, though, that any serious porting effort will likely
require changes to the compiler source (e.g. custom ABI
transformations), so the benefit of binaries for this specific
use case will probably be limited.

David