std.stream replacement

BLM768 blm768 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:14:16 PST 2013

While working on a project, I've started to realize that I miss
streams. If someone's not already working on bringing std.stream
up to snuff, I think that we should start thinking about to do
that.
Of course, with ranges being so popular (with very good reason),
the new stream interface would probably just be a range wrapper
around a file; in fact, a decent amount of functionality could be
implemented by just adding a byChars range to the standard File
struct and leaving the parsing functionality to std.conv.parse.
Of course, there's no reason to stop there; we could also add
socket streams, compressed streams, and just about any other type
of stream, all without an especially large amount of effort.
Unless someone already wants to tackle the project (or has
already started), I'd be willing to work out at least a basic
design and implementation.