Migrating dmd to D?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Mar 5 18:43:35 PST 2013

Chris Cain:

> I would _really_ like to see this, personally. I kind of doubt
> it would happen, but I can dream...

I think Walter will keep using D to keep developing his back-end.

> Not just for the reasons you listed, but because it would
> potentially enable the compiler to use LLVM's JIT/interpreter to
> perform CTFE at much higher speeds.

LLVM JIT is also slow to compile, so it's better to use LLVM JIT
only for the longer running CT functions, and keep using an
interpreter for all the other CT calls. This means D devs will
have to manage an interpreter a JIT and a compiler for the same
language :-) I think than inside LISP machines have much less
duplication than this.

Bye,
bearophile