Migrating dmd to D?

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Thu Mar 7 10:56:04 PST 2013

On 03/07/2013 01:03 PM, Kagamin wrote:

> According to distrowatch Ubuntu and Mint are more popular than Debian,
> and Ubuntu allows proprietary software like Opera browser and Nvidia
> drivers, so dmd won't be a problem too. Why Debian policies should be an
> issue?

Both Ubuntu and Mint are based off of Debian, so if you get on Debian
you get on those and many Debian-based others as well. Besides that,
Debian is more popular with hardcore developer types that will help push
adoption. And finally, while I think it's a shame that the reference
compiler is proprietary, Debian has a non-free repository that DMD can
be placed on as long as the binaries are redistributable.